points - Details)
Become well-versed with forensics for the Android, iOS, and Windows 10 mobile platforms by learning essential techniques and exploring real-life scenarios
- Apply advanced forensic techniques to recover deleted data from mobile devices
- Retrieve and analyze data stored not only on mobile devices but also on the cloud and other connected mediums
- Use the power of mobile forensics on popular mobile platforms by exploring different tips, tricks, and techniques
Mobile phone forensics is the science of retrieving data from a mobile phone under forensically sound conditions. This updated fourth edition of Practical Mobile Forensics delves into the concepts of mobile forensics and its importance in today’s world.
The book focuses on teaching you the latest forensic techniques to investigate mobile devices across various mobile platforms. You will learn forensic techniques for multiple OS versions, including iOS 11 to iOS 13, Android 8 to Android 10, and Windows 10. The book then takes you through the latest open source and commercial mobile forensic tools, enabling you to analyze and retrieve data effectively. From inspecting the device and retrieving data from the cloud, through to successfully documenting reports of your investigations, you’ll explore new techniques while building on your practical knowledge. Toward the end, you will understand the reverse engineering of applications and ways to identify malware. Finally, the book guides you through parsing popular third-party applications, including Facebook and WhatsApp.
By the end of this book, you will be proficient in various mobile forensic techniques to analyze and extract data from mobile devices with the help of open source solutions.
What you will learn
- Discover new data extraction, data recovery, and reverse engineering techniques in mobile forensics
- Understand iOS, Windows, and Android security mechanisms
- Identify sensitive files on every mobile platform
- Extract data from iOS, Android, and Windows platforms
- Understand malware analysis, reverse engineering, and data analysis of mobile devices
- Explore various data recovery techniques on all three mobile platforms
Who this book is for
This book is for forensic examiners with basic experience in mobile forensics or open source solutions for mobile forensics. Computer security professionals, researchers or anyone looking to gain a deeper understanding of mobile internals will also find this book useful. Some understanding of digital forensic practices will be helpful to grasp the concepts covered in the book more effectively.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Mobile Forensics
- Understanding the Internals of iOS Devices
- Data Acquisition from iOS Devices
- Data Acquisition from iOS Backups
- iOS Data Analysis and Recovery
- iOS Forensic Tools
- Understanding Android
- Android Forensic Setup and Pre-Data Extraction Techniques
- Android Data Extraction Techniques
- Android Data Analysis and Recovery
- Android App Analysis, Malware, and Reverse Engineering
- Windows Phone Forensics
- Parsing Third-Party Application Files