Technology

Apple recalls 15in MacBook Pro laptops as they may ‘pose a fire safety risk’

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - JUNE 4: Detail of branding outside the Apple Store in Covent Garden in London, with the Apple logo clearly visible, taken on June 4, 2019. (Photo by Olly Curtis/Future Publishing via Getty Images)

Apple is asking customers to check the serial number on their machines on the Apple recall site

Apple is asking some of its customers with MacBook Pro laptops to stop using the machines immediately and to replace the batteries as soon as possible over ‘a fire risk’.

The company said on Thursday that a limited number of its largest laptop line, sold between September 2015 and February 2017, contained batteries that ‘may overheat and pose a safety risk’.

The company has offered to replace the batteries free of charge as part of the recall.

It says the service may take one to two weeks.

The company said anyone with the model in question, which cost upwards of £1,599, should cross-check the serial number of the machine on the Apple recall site.

Editorial Use only Mandatory Credit: Photo by Neil Godwin/Future/REX (10230395d) A 15-inch Apple Macbook Pro Laptop Computer Folding eBikes Hardware Shoot - 31 Jul 2018

MacBook Pro laptops sold between September 2015 and February 2017, contained batteries that ‘may overheat and pose a safety risk’ (Picture: Rex Features)

09 April 2019, Hessen, R?sselsheim: LLUSTRATION - The illuminated keyboard of a laptop is reflected on the screen. Photo: Silas Stein/

Apple says the battery issues did not affect other 15in MacBook Pro laptops or other Mac products (Picture: DPA)

The serial number can be found by clicking on the Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen and choosing ‘About this Mac’.

‘Customer safety is always Apple’s top priority, and we have voluntarily decided to replace affected batteries, free of charge,’ Apple said in a statement.

The battery issues did not affect other 15in MacBook Pro laptops or other Mac products, it said.

In April, Apple recalled of some of its plug adapters after discovering they could break and cause electric shocks when touched.



Got a story for Metro.co.uk?

If you have a story for our news team, email us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

Related posts

Why Facebook wants its own currency — and why that scares its critics

MasMaz

Watch: Shimmery Meteor Illuminates Night Sky Over Chicago

MasMaz

Sonos’ long-promised support for Google Assistant is finally here

MasMaz